Prev: Colours Next: Re: GZG List Code proposal.

Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:11:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments

Stuart spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> I generally havn't had a problem with this.  In the main i try to play
> point of view of the troops on the table.  On a dense battlefield it
is not
> uncommon for individual squads to be strung out such that they are not
> aware of other squads in the smae pltn, therefore if not comms are
made
> they don't know who has been wiped out as the CO will not relay that
> them.  Of course if they can see th aother squad then this may be a
problem
> which could be rectifiewd by reaction tests etc.

Yes, I agree to a point with you here Stu, only I don't think you or
I have operated with telemetry and personal comms like these future
troopies. And the lack of a morale for the company means that
whereas in real life the commander might say "I'm taking a beating
time to withdraw" even when he really could have still won his
objective, your little lead guy will tend to ignore that because his
squad personally doesn't have to check morale. Now, players with
maturity can play this the right way, but the point of morale is that
sometimes your troops won't do what you expect, and that should apply
at the company level too.... I don't know how many WW2 accounts I've
read about generals pissed off because some formation (platoon,
company, whatever) withdrew from action or halted an advance because
they felt they'd been beaten up even when they really hadn't.
Unfortuately we can play these battles up to mutliple platoon level
in SG2 without any concept of formation morale.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Colours Next: Re: GZG List Code proposal.