Prev: New tanks SIM [OT] Next: Re: GZG List Code proposal.

Re: [GZG] Re: GZG List Code proposal.

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:24:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: GZG List Code proposal.

Oerjan spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> No, not all mail programs are able to sort incoming messages from the
> "from" address. My is able to, usually... except that some people seem
> use strange versions of the "to" address, or something - a few list
> members (always the same ones - I'll try to remember to tell you who
you
> are the next time you post) fall between the sorting mechanisms.

I get some of the mail with the from fields really strange.
I think Indy is one of these. The mails I get from him and a few
others seem to have wierd-*ss phrases in them... which is a trick I'd
very much like to learn myself. Maybe its real obvious to most how
this is done, but I'd always assumed the list server required a valid
(format wise) email address in the from field.

> Because of this, I'd very much like a [GZG] header. The other mailing
> lists I'm on do this automatically (...OK, it *does* look a bit
strange
> with [Chipco] Re: [Chipco] Re: etc, but most of the time it doesn't go
> that far <g>), which is a great help - because people do forget. Jon
> (W.), can the FT list server do the same thing? That leaves only the
> specific headers to us (and our faulty memories)...

Whereas I'd beg to differ. Some of our threads go on add naseum and
I've noticed on lists like the ones you are referencing, you end up
with subject lines like
[GZG] Re: [GZG] Re: [GZG]: Re [GZG]: Re [GZG]: etc. so you can't even
find the stupid subject. Or maybe that's a client side problem, I
don't know, but either way it is frustrating. If we had the other
tags (SG, FT, DS, or OT - other topic in this case), you could sort
traffic with these 4 tags easily enough.

Why don't you just sort on reply address? anything that has a reply
address of bolton server, send to the GZG bin? My Pegasus mail client
can do this I think.

Tom.
> Later,
>
> Oerjan Ohlson
> oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com
>
> "Life is like a sewer.
>   What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
> - Hen3ry

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: New tanks SIM [OT] Next: Re: GZG List Code proposal.