Prev: Byzantine SF Next: Re: 25mm Scale ?

Byzantine SF

From: "Chen-song Qin" <cqin@e...>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:46:38 -0600
Subject: Byzantine SF

Robert Crawford wrote:

> Which seems to be a _very_ popular source of inspiration for

> SF writers. Drake's used to it twice -- _Counting the Cost_ and less

> veiled in latest book he coauthored with S.M. Stirling(?) -- the
sequel

> to _Oblique Approach_.

I think that's Eric Flint he coauthored with. That's a good series, by
the way. I'm just

wondering though, since I'm not familiar with Indian history/mythology,
how many (if any)

of the Indian characters are historical/legendary? Also, as far as I can
remember the

Rajputs only settled in India in the fifth and sixth centuries, and
might not be as firmly

established as presented in the book.

> There's also a book by Pournelle that uses the Nika riots as

> inspiration -- one of the Falkenberg books, I think. I remember this
one

> well because someone on a newsgroup once claimed the story proved

> Pournelle was some sort of reactionary. I wish I had known the

> historical basis of the story...

Of course, as everyone knows, Harry Turtledove also has a Ph.D. in
Byzantine history.

I wonder what it is with military SF writers and Byzantine history.

I will bring you a weapon of unimaginable destructive power... but only
if you're good.

- Homer Simpson

Prev: Byzantine SF Next: Re: 25mm Scale ?