Prev: Re: No longer ... Next: RE: Printed works of future combat

Re: Printed works of future combat

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:47:50 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Printed works of future combat

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:

> _Tank Sargent_ by Ralph Zumbro. The only first-person account of armor
> actions in Vietnam that I've been able to find. Reminds me a bit of
> Hammer's Slammers, but that's not surprising, as I believe Drake was
> attached to a unit similar to this one.

Actually, Drake initially wrote Vietnam shorts (with an SF touch) to
purge
it out of his system -- but he couldn't find a buyer for those so he
redressed the stories (in classical REH fashion, though the rewrites are
not quite so obvious) as pure science fiction and wham, Hammer's
Slammers
was born. The Vietnam stories have been published later in a collection
called "Military Dimension", IIRC.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: No longer ... Next: RE: Printed works of future combat