Prev: RE: Future Combat Books Next: Re: Printed works of future combat

Re: The World of 2185

From: jfoster@k... (Jim 'Jiji' Foster)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 00:34:36 -0500
Subject: Re: The World of 2185

>A great example of this can be seen right here in the US every day.
>Since it seems we have always had a large number of immigrants (my
floks
>were back in the fifties). Especially nowadays, immigrants send a lot
of
>their income back toteh old country and help support families there.

It goes beyond that; there's often a residual feeling that the 'old
country' was better in many ways. This hold true today in the US, even
after 200 years of independance. Consider in advertising, when a product
is
looking to seem elegant, refined, or otherwise 'better', advertisers
often
attempt to portray it as somehow 'European'. Cars, food, and wine are
cases
in point.

------
Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK / TIP #28 /
PPIG #42

"The wisest and best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions,
may
be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke.
"
    - Jane Austen, _Pride & Predjudice_

Prev: RE: Future Combat Books Next: Re: Printed works of future combat