Prev: A Solution to Midturn Firing Next: Freedom Fighters/Terrorist Organizations

Re: The World of 2185

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:19:16 -0500
Subject: Re: The World of 2185

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> A great example of this can be seen right here in the US every day.
> Since it seems we have always had a large number of immigrants (my
floks
> were back in the fifties). Especially nowadays, immigrants send a lot
of
> their income back toteh old country and help support families there.
> Also colonists woudl be apt to "send" for more family members once
> they've established themselves on the new planet. I think the
importance
> of Earth would remain high for these reason. Not that anyone actually
> wants to be ruled by earth though. You may have left Russia in the
> seventies and hated their government but still be in love with Russia.

And let us not forget that Earth probably has the most advanced Labs
(some of them anyway), lots of corporate HQs, plus the best
educational institutions (all the Old Universities) and Colonists
would tend to send their kids back (if they could afford it, but FTL
looks reasonably cheap in the GZG background for an individual, no
worse than sending an American to School in England in the 1900s) to
get a 'good' education and that would tend to underscore Earth's
importance - under the theory the education would probably be
Earth-centric and focus on the impact of Earth and its importance.

:) Tom.

Prev: A Solution to Midturn Firing Next: Freedom Fighters/Terrorist Organizations