Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)

Super High Velocities in Full Thrust

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:41:42 -0700
Subject: Super High Velocities in Full Thrust

Hello,
	The discussionof running up to your enemy at really high
velocities and
attacking him and then continuing on your way obviously has some
attraction
to min-maxi-munchkins.	However, it ignores a reasonable element that
has
been discussed here before.  To accelerate requires mass expended out or
the acclerators/engines.  The square law of mass will quickly eat up all
the mass of your ship.	To do these maneuvers 80% of your ship would
have
to be fuel, regardless of how efficient your engines are.
	Therefore, since we want Full Thrust to be a fun game that does
not tie
your hands to logistics issues, I think it is quite reasonable to limit
ships to two turns worth of maximum acceleration for the intial speed
upon
entering the board.  Furthermore, ships can be counted as holding the
field
of battle if their speed is below four times their maximum acceleration
at
the end of the engagment.
	Phil P.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: Other Forces Next: Re: GenCon Review with a GZG Emphasis (part 3 of 4)