Prev: Re: Maps of teh FT universe Next: Re: Other Forces

Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 18:19:48 -0500
Subject: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

Although I'm thinking the Replenishment vessel UNS Rest and Leisure
sounds like a fun berthing.....

> God I'd hate to serve on a battlecruiser named the UNS Cultural
> participation...
>
> Los
>
> tom.anderson@altavista.net wrote:
>
> > > Well, I still need a name-type for the Light Cruiser, Destroyer,
Frigate &
> > > Corvette.  I'm trying to stick with natural features, to avoid
getting the
> > > UN into political mudfights (Hey, you named a carrier after them
and only
> > > an Escort Cruiser after us?).  ANy ideas?
> >
> > how about human rights? the UNSs:
> >
> > Life, Liberty and Security
> > Freedom from Slavery
> > Freedom from Torture
> > Legal Recognition
> > Legal Equality
> > Effective Remedy
> > Freedom from Arbitrary Arrest
> > Fair Trial
> > Presumption of Innocence
> > Privacy
> > Freedom of Movement
> > Asylum
> > Nationality
> > Marriage''Property
> > Freedom of Conscience
> > Freedom of Expression
> > Assembly and Association
> > Participation in Government
> > Social Security
> > Work
> > Rest and Lesiure
> > Standard of Living
> > Education
> > Cultural Participation
> > Order
> >
> > i admit they are pretty long-winded names, but then that's the UN
for you.

> > however, you could then get amusing stuff like the UNS Life, Liberty
and Security bombarding civilian population centres, the UNS Privacy
being assigned to sigint work or the UNS Freedom of Movement to blockade
duty.

> > the un declaration on human rights can be found at:
> > http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html
> >
> > alternatively, the names of treaties etc could be used: the UNS
Charter, the UNS Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UNS Geneva
Convention, etc