Prev: Re: Needle Beams Next: Re: Vehicular Flamethrowers for SG2

Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 16:03:33 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

> Well, I still need a name-type for the Light Cruiser, Destroyer,
Frigate &
> Corvette.  I'm trying to stick with natural features, to avoid getting
the
> UN into political mudfights (Hey, you named a carrier after them and
only
> an Escort Cruiser after us?).  ANy ideas?

how about human rights? the UNSs:

Life, Liberty and Security
Freedom from Slavery
Freedom from Torture
Legal Recognition
Legal Equality
Effective Remedy
Freedom from Arbitrary Arrest
Fair Trial
Presumption of Innocence
Privacy
Freedom of Movement
Asylum
Nationality
Marriage''Property
Freedom of Conscience
Freedom of Expression
Assembly and Association
Participation in Government
Social Security
Work
Rest and Lesiure
Standard of Living
Education
Cultural Participation
Order

i admit they are pretty long-winded names, but then that's the UN for
you.

however, you could then get amusing stuff like the UNS Life, Liberty and
Security bombarding civilian population centres, the UNS Privacy being
assigned to sigint work or the UNS Freedom of Movement to blockade duty.

the un declaration on human rights can be found at:
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

alternatively, the names of treaties etc could be used: the UNS Charter,
the UNS Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UNS Geneva
Convention, etc

Tom

Prev: Re: Needle Beams Next: Re: Vehicular Flamethrowers for SG2