Prev: Turn 27 Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:52:52 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

You wrote:

>I know this is once again dangerous territory but I don't remember the
>French supporting Hussein.  Certainly they seemed to be on the wrong

Sure. They were kinda subtle about it.	You see them now openly
clamoring to lift sanctions so they can sell weapons to him again.  At
least the Germans were embarassed about selling him chemical weapons!
Anyway, the French were self-proclaimed neutral in the whole mess
during the summer of '90, then in they were the ones in Fall of '90
whining and moaning about giving sanctions "time to take effect" (Based
on Cuban Example, 40+ years isn't enough time for sanctions to "take
effect") and the French Government even tried to cover up the fact that
French citizens were taken hostage along with other Westerners.  Their
Defense Minister resigned over the issue of attacking Iraq.  Indeed
said Minister, Jean-Pierre Chevenement, publicly proposed redrawing the
Iraq-Kuwait border to give Iraq the oil fields that were in dispute!
And the French initially refused to support the operation unless a
French officer was appointed to command it!  This was quietly
squelched--but CENTCOM didn't actually assume command over the French
forces until after the bombs started dropping.	Everything prior to
that was based on the personal relationships between the senior Allied
officers and the senior French officers.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Turn 27 Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature