Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

Terrorism, about 50% Off-topic

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:57:38 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Terrorism, about 50% Off-topic

You wrote:

>Apparently the American embassies in Africa are not as security
concious as >the ones here in Europe.  A friend of mine works out there

A truck bomb doesn't care.  Very easy to park across the street,
assuming you've got a large enough truck, and blow an entire block to
hell.  But the point is well taken--in Europe during the past few
decades there have been scads of terrorist attacks from homegrown
terror groups (See:  Any organization referring to itself as a "Red
Brigade")  African security threats tend to be in the form of street
demonstrations.  Terrorist strikes can't be stopped easily--if all else
fails, the bad guys can borrow someone from the IRA to teach them how
to set up remote-controlled homemade mortars.  Not too effective at
causing mass casualties, but with nerve gas warheads. . .

>walk away.  On another poiint, what was this CIA operation about that
>stirred whoever it was to launch the attack?

CIA operation?	Heh.  Never heard of it--foreign journalists are either
much better informed, or given to more loony speculation about what the
CIA does than Americans.  Take Bahrain, for instance.  The Akhbar
Al-Khalij printed the following question in regards to Miss Lewinsky.
"Is she a bait dropped by the CIA to damage the picture of the
president because he crossed the red line?"  Given that sort of
international picture of the CIA, foreigners are rather ready to blame
anything and everything on a "CIA Plot".  Feh.	The CIA can't organize
a buffet line (True!  Of course, story was related to me by a fellow
Southern Baptist, and we have very high standards for buffet lines.
We're the only denomination that considers fried chicken a sacrament.)
much less some of the antics they are credited for.  Besides, blaming
this on a CIA operation "stirring up" the Egyptian Islamic Jihad would
be too much like saying State Department deserved to have it's
employees blown to bits because another branch of the US Government was
rendering assitance to a friendly government (Egypt) in tracking down
some murderous thugs, likely at their own request.  Remember, this is
the outfit that for fun uses machine guns on busloads of tourists.

>On the point of SG2 scenarios and tying in with something that was
>mentioned earlier is it likely that there would be interstellar
terrorist >organisations in FT universe?  The LLAR seems close in as
far as it is very >Mercenary based.  Would smaller nations be involved
in acts of sabotage and >so on against hostile major powers?  Is it
this sort of brushfire war that >the UN might be involved with in the
core systems?

I tend to think of terrorism in the 22nd century as largely a function
of the aftermath of planetary conquest.  Why?  Because the Big Boys on
the block seem less constrained in retaliation by some of the picky
hangups the US & Europeans seem to have today.	If the LLAR set off
bombs in the NAC, I see them as responding in serious force like the
Brits did during the last century--"punitive actions" involving naval
gunboats and army flying columns rampaging through the offending
nation's country.  But on a planet which was invaded, at least some
degree of guerilla resistance would be expected, even if it is minor
and short-lived.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature