Prev: Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas Next: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:58:13 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

You wrote:

>....I didn't catch the full piece in the news but I understand the US
>Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya has been bombed this week by a splinter
>muslim group never before heard of. I guess there are quite a few
>dead. I don't know if any serving soldiers were amongst the losses,
>but in any case I'm sure some civilians were killed.

Speculation is that it's the Egyptian branch of the Islamic Jihad
taking credit under a false name.  And there was also an attack on the
US Embassy in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania, only five minutes prior to the
Nairobi explosion.  Anyway, the embassies are located in the downtown
areas of capital cities.  The bombs injured 4,800+ people, with a
confirmed death count of 209--most injuries were walking wounded.
"Only" 12 Americans were killed, which gives you an idea how many
locals going about their morning business were waxed or hurt.  In fact
many of the Nairobi casualties were in the Ufundi Cooperative
Buildings, a four-story structure next door to the Embassy.  Living
near DC, this is front page news still--a lot of the US diplomatic
staffs have this area as their home of record, and many leave their
families here when they go.

>other diplomats. Scenes like this will arise scenarios like rescuing
>an overrun embassy, protecting rescue workers, capturing thosre

There's a hypothical Steel Panthers III scenario with a company each of
Belgians, French Paras, and US Marines protecting three buildings
(their respective embassies) spread out among an entire city and under
attack by much larger forces.  I admit the only reason I won was
because the computor was stupid enough to bunch one of his attack
forces up in the street in a single hex.  Harriers dropping a
half-dozen bombs will clean up anyone stupid enough to do that.

>responsible, etc. Which, although not classic nation A vs. nation B.
>stuff could make great SG2 material.

Yeah, I can see an embassy attack.  A few high-quality light infantry,
perhaps off-shore (orbital?) air support, some State Department
security personell (those would be modelled by a figure in a suit with
a firearm and possibly a helmet, probably green), and a lot of
families, diplomats, staff members, janitors, etc hiding in the center
of the building.  Attackers would be anything from rioting civillians
to terrorists, insurgent, or even someone's regular military, probably
after mutinying (sp?) and joining the Revolution, which drops the
leadership to three since they shot all the officers and sergeants and
are running things as a democracy.

>It's a pity that real life can't be fought with little lead dudes.
>They don't bleed and as referess and players we can shape the world
>to avoid the horrors that the real world is plagued with.....

*Imagines the UN in a rules debate like some Napoleonics or WH40K
players I know*

Might be enough to finally provoke nuclear war.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Full Thrust Sensor Ideas Next: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature