Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: SFCONSIM List news?

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 11:03:58 +0100
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

>"Elvis Aaron Presley, Sir. But most folks think he's dead now."
>
>Tom (who thinks there is a King, but he's unlikely to be
>greatly revered in the Scottish, Welsh or Irish parts of NAC).

Odd that, eh?  Anyhow Elvis isn't dead he just hiding out on a small
island
in Connemara.  Well thats what the voices in my head tell me...

On another point I always rather regarded Ireland (at least the part
that
is separate from the UK) as being more likely to be part of the FSE
(Being
pro-European mostly) or independent.  Perhaps part of that Celtic
(pronounced with a K unlike the fottball team) Alliance someone
suggested
way back.

One thing that struck me is that we are making an assumption that UN
ship
names
are all in English.  Might it not be likely that some of these ships
might
have African or Asian (or whatever) names as well?  I presume that the
Korean name for their country is different from the English version.

Is Mount Kilimanjaro (probably mispelled this) the same in  English as
it
is in Afrikans?
Might present some interesting sounding names for ships.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: SFCONSIM List news?