Prev: Multi-Grade FTL (Was Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive)) Next: Re: Fleet Book Tugs

Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive)

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:04:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive)

> > > The character of the game can be radically changed if the mass
> > > requirements for the FTL drive were changed (via a house rule)
> > > to 30% or 50%.
> >
> > Or points cost increased.
>
> I personally don't like this idea, as the FTL really has little
> effect on most FT games, so paying such high costs for it seems
strange,
> the increased mass seems to be more representative of different tech
> levels to me.
> In a campaign, of course, FTL provides much more significant
advantages
> and point cost changes are appropriate.

Well, for a one-off, you are right. For any campaign, the FTL tech
(if you take the larger view) makes a lot of difference. Just like
the FTL speed of comms discussion shapes the universe a lot (does
comms go faster than transit speeds - old thread well hashed in the
archives), so does the FTL tech weight and cost. If FTL is expensive,
loses of FTL ships are punishing. If FTL is big and bulky, attacking
systems against non FTL ships will be painful as (mass for mass) they
are better armed and armoured since they don't have to shell out a
lot of space and weight for FTL gear. So I think such distinctions
actually make a world of difference in a lot of campaign style games.

Tom.

Prev: Multi-Grade FTL (Was Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive)) Next: Re: Fleet Book Tugs