Prev: Re: Simple is good Next: Re: Simple is good

RE: Simple is good

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 09:31:41 +1000
Subject: RE: Simple is good

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Sullivan [mailto:starkfist@hotmail.com]

>As a friend of mine once put it: "When I am gaming, I want to be
>spending my time thinking about the game, not about the rules."  I
think

Well, I know that at Western Suburbs we are having some success with
cultivating the approach in our SG gamers (and it is flowing onto the
other games they play) of getting them to think in terms of capabilities
and restrictions on the table; not 'the rules say I can't'. Seems to be
working. SGII isn't a rules heavy gaming system anyway. Look at DBXX as
someone gave an example. Lots of rules interpreations that get hammered
about in games.

Unfortunately I think too many people who are introduced to SGII get the
impression that because it is played with 25mm figures that it is a RPG
game. But is is NOT! Generally the smallest unit on table is a squad (OK
detachments and snipers but they are exceptions!?!?!). So really it is
Platoon Level as the normal level of command is a PC on the table.

Mind you some really simple board games can really start the migraines;
RISK for example!!

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: Re: Simple is good Next: Re: Simple is good