Prev: full thrust PBM Next: Re: Simple is good

Re: Simple is good

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:26:19 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Simple is good

You wrote:

>Wow. Although most of the guys I game with like to finish a game, if
>the game is too simplistic, they can't be bothered. They find it more
>a waste of their time to play something that doesn't give them the
>right (to their mind) feel and complexity. I can't imagine us playing
>a game where the rules fit on an index card.

Neither can I.	I mean, space combat you can do this way--it's
basically a couple of machines going at it on a flat, level surface
with no obstructions.  But ground combat is a little more complex than
that.

>Why do you prefer ten zillion six siders to say a d1000? And it sure
>isn't better than the die levels Jon has worked out for Stargrunt.  I
>don't necessarily see that using a bunch of d6s is an improvement. It
>works for FT, but I don't see it working well for SG2.

Hear, hear.  Once you get used to it, DSII has an elegant simplicity.
You want _real_ complexity, play CDII.

>significant. Nor troop quality. SG2 does this (IMHO) very well. That
>make all the difference in the real world, I'd guess.

Yeah, no joke.	An Airborne Ranger with a rifle is, methinks, somewhat
more effective than a NLF irregular with a rifle.  And there should be
some differentiation in a ruleset intended to 'kreigspiel' rather than
serve as a glorified poker game.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: full thrust PBM Next: Re: Simple is good