Prev: Re: DS2 scenery question Next: Re: Stargrunt WWII conversion

Re: RopeCon 98 Report

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:31:20 -0500
Subject: Re: RopeCon 98 Report

Tom spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Heretical though it may be, I am forced to agree.

"Mr. Elliot, fetch the faggots! Mr. Tuffley, the match! This heathen
shall pay for his heresies..."

  Much though I love
> DSII and SGII, I have found that the ideal game to run for Shows and
> shop demos is Demonblade's Shock force--it's cheap, quick, and very
> simple.  Even the dimmest bulbs in our gaming group have mastered the
> rules of Shock Force after playing our first game, while DSII and
> SGII...manage to elude most of them.

Strangely enough, most people that we taught SG2 to mastered it first
crack (as long as we had a ref to just sort of 'keep an eye out' and
offer reminders of things like cohesion distances and when confidence
checks were made). Maybe I've been just lucky to play with people who
play far too many games and so learning a new one is just another
momentary focus and not a major undertaking.

  It doesn't help that we can play a
> game with some 90 25mm figure in half the time it takes to play an
SGII
> game with half the number of troops.

Now, OTOH, I find that funny because I'm used to 1/72 scale WW2 or
MicroArmour which used to take us a minimum of six hours to wade
through, and most SG2 I've seen, even with lots of units on the
board, will only take 2-3.5 hours, a normal Con slot.

  It's depressing!  I'm hoping that
> I will have more time to spend on promoting the GZG games now, but FT
is
> the only one that has really caught on in my gaming group.  What makes

> matter worse is that, if I want to play SGII or DSII I have to run the

> game!  Which generally precludes playing.  I'm the only one who really

> knows the systems, or cares enough to do a scenario....

Well, that just takes time and patience to change. And a continual
eye to add new people with like interests. I'm gradually sucking in
my old AD&D group, after my new gaming group I met through work
introduced me to FT, EFSB and SG2. It's networking :)

And the target audience is a factor - promoting 'gaming' by getting
non-gamers interested is something that such straightforward,
simplistic games are good for. Promoting gaming in games you enjoy to
people who may already have played some games but want a good game
system with a lot of flexibility and meat requires that you play
something like FT or SG2. And that is where (eventually) we gain more
converts to the good cause of keeping Jon, KR, and others in
business.

Tom.

Prev: Re: DS2 scenery question Next: Re: Stargrunt WWII conversion