Prev: [Fwd: From the personal effects of K'rrt] Next: Re: 15mm figures. - and a Question of Composition

AAR Battle of Kessel

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 14:46:47 -0700
Subject: AAR Battle of Kessel

(note: this was one of two fights we had at Historicon)

Classification: SECRET NOFORN
Subject: AAR from Kessel Raid (Case Blau)
Routing: Ia OberKommado KriegsRaumFlotte Nue Salzburg
DTG: 271300ZJul2194
From: Kaptain zur Raum Rudolf Bergmann (Kampfstaffel III/KG12)

This AAR covers the actions of Kampfstaffel III/KG12 during its
participation in Case Blau in the Kessel system on 25 July, 2194.
referencing document is Operations Order 227a annex B. (attached)

Ia. Order of Battle NSL
III/KG12
a. Missile destroyers, KRS von Steuben, Galland, Trautloff, RNS Ajax (on
secondment from NAC) (Each ship has 1 x type 1 beam battery and 3 salvo
missile launcher)
b. Escort Cruiser: KRS Schongau (2 type 1 beam, 1x type 2 beam, 2 PDS
and Area defcon)
c. Battle cruiser: KRS Scharnhorst (flagship), Gneisenau (6xtype 3 beam
batteries, 1x Pulse toprpedo, 2 PDS)
d. Fighter carrier: Tirpitz (6xtype 3 beam batteries, 1x Pulse toprpedo,
2 PDS, and 4 fighter bays)
e. 4 Jagdgruppe: (I and II/JG2 and II/IV/JG26)

Ib. Order of Battle Kra'Vak (estimated)
a. 6xHunter ships (6 type 2 RG systems (2 side firing only), 4
scatterguns)
b. 1xdreadnought  (4 type 3 RG systems, 2 type 2 RG systems (side arc).
6 scatterguns, 2 fighter bays)
c. 2 fighter squadrons

IIa: II/KG12 warps into Kessel system and provides diversion for vital
intelligence gathering satellite recovery by the cloaked KRS Kohl. The
Staffel was not to leave until the KRS Kohl was safely away with it's
package.

III: II/12 warped into system at 1300Z as per plan. We emerged at 6
light seconds from Kessel. The transit was not without difficulty,
resulting in damage to one of the fighter launch bays on the Tirpitz.
This effectively cut our fighter strength by 25%. Also KRS Scharnhorst
had three beam batteries go off line. Nevertheless, II/JG 2 was launched
on schedule and proceed to target. We know that they succeeded in
destroying the three unmanned Kra'Vak PDS arrays, but since no one made
it back I can not expound on this portion of the operation further.

Since II/12 made no attempt at maintaining EMSEC (Emissions Security),
it was relatively easy for the Kra'Vak to detect us. They took the bait
and dispatched every ship within range toward us. Kohl inserted
undetected and commenced its recovery operation.

Admiral Wender's plan was to keep the incoming enemy fleet off to our
starboard and avoid the usual interpenetrating of a standard head on
fight. Consequently, he deployed the missile ships 6 MUs ahead of our
main force and spread into a skirmish line 12 MUs across. The main force
was kept in a compact group within 6 MUS of each other. His intent was
to shower the incoming Kra'Vak with missile salvos, and launch a fighter
strike to swing wide around the aft of the Kra'Vak fleet sandwiching
them between us. In our last engagement our light destroyer screen had
suffered heavily and the Admiral had commented on his commitment to get
their missiles off as early as possible. Also it was estimated that our
heavy beam batteries have a 6 MU range advantage of Kra'Vak systems and
he wanted to keep them at bay to take advantage of the range difference.

Our plan began to go awry at once. The Kra'Vak commander maintained a
tight control  of his fleet, and instead of rushing right at us
manuevered his force in a way which resulted in 60% of our missiles (Our
first two full salvos) not finding their mark. The Kra'Vak ships
synchronized their movements very well.

The superior maneuver rating of the Kra'Vak ships allowed them to close
to under 30 MUs. Thus we were not able to take advantage of our superior
beam range. A number of our ships began taking hits and  the Scharnhorst
50% loss of batteries was severely felt at this range.	Our destroyer
screen took  severe damage with the RNS Ajax being destroyed and the KRS
Trautloff suffering a bridge hit which put her out of control for the
duration of the fight. The remaining destroyers in the screen, now
moving at a high speed bypassed the flanking KV ships, spun and fired an
additional salvo. This coincided with fighters from both III/JG2 and
IV/JG26 conducting an extended burn. Thus the KV found themselves
sandwiched between 2 missile salvos and 2 fighter groups attacking from
their aft quadrants. This took them by surprise and a number of ships
suffered heavily. It was the first good news of the battle. Our fighters
would continue to harry the KV ships from their aft quadrant for the
duration of the battle.

At this point he Kra'Vak made their first error. They attempted to close
range with us. I believe that the KV should have remained at long range
since their RG systems hold their damage potential better at long range
than our beam systems.	They closed to within 20 MUs of the main force,
suffering another well timed and aimed missile salvo in the process. (At
this points the destroyers were out of missiles and were allowed to
drift out of the fight, having been harried by Kra'Vak fighters.)

AT this time Scharnhorst's batteries all came back on line and the
Kra'Vak began to suffer under 18 class 3 beam batteries per turn from
out heavy units. The KV units responded with heavy and RG fire as well
as the attention of their fighters. However we could see our beams
taking effect as a number of ships began streaming atmosphere 2 Hunters
Nova'd as their power cores gave way. We suffered also as various
systems would go down, be repared and go down again. The heaviest loss
came when Scharnhorst suffered a catastrophic bridge hit resulting in
the death of Admiral Wenders.
Command devloved down to me. Our main force had already swung aft while
fleeing to keep the heavy beams bearing on our pursuers. The KV ships
became separated.

The high point of the battle occurred as the  KV dreadnought and two
hunters closed range. Our ships were shot up and the Scharnhorst was
still out of control. Oberst Halfek's fighters were at the end of their
endurance and had been recalled. When he saw the danger to the staffel,
he lead his remaining fighters in for a desperate attack. The KV
fighters had been pulled back to pursue, but they ignored their deadly
attacks and scattergun fire to press home their attack on the
dreadnought. Apparently a bridge hit on the behemoth  effectively put
her out of action and spared us from her type 3 RGs at close range. This
allowed me to concentrate on the two Hunters, killing one and severely
damaging the other. Our most dangerous moments were over.  We detected
the Kohl's transit beacon signaling all clear. Now to extract ourselves!
I ordered our remaining destroyers, the KRS von Stueben and Galland to
execute maximum burns back at the KV pursuers to cover our withdrawl. As
the range separated, our heavy batteries destroyed another Hunter. The
final one kept up a steady RG fire upon us, but the appearance of the
destroyers and our final salvos severely damaged this ship and she broke
off action.

We were now faced with emergency repairs on a number of ships to get
them ready for Warp transit. Unfortunately Life Support on the
Scharnhorst as permanently knocked out, so the Gneisenau hove along side
and pulled off her crew, then scuttled the great ship. There was no time
to affect more detlaied repairs since more KraVak contacts wer ereported
at under 4 light seconds and we were in no condition for another fight.
We then transited out of the system.

IV. Summary. Our final losses were 1 destroyer (RNS Ajax), one Battle
cruiser (KRS Scharnhorst) and 18 fighters destroyed. Heavy damage to KRS
von Steuben, Trautloff, and Gneisenau. Light to moderate damage to all
others.  We suffered 349 killed and 227 injured. The Kohl escaped with
the surveillance satellite. I consider our mission a success though at a
very high cost. The synchronization of KV maneuvers signals an
adaptation of their tactics in an attempt to avoid deadly missile
salvos. Never the less the KV lost one dreadnought and 3 hunters. 2
others were last seen drifting out of control streaming atmosphere and
the last one was heavily damaged and withdrew under her own power.

I expect II/KG12 to be out of commission for at least three weeks as we
refit. We have rendezvoused with FSU (Fleet Support Unit) 33 and are
making repairs. This concludes my debrief.

Bergmann, Rudlof
Kaptain zur Raum
II/KG12     Commander (acting)

Prev: [Fwd: From the personal effects of K'rrt] Next: Re: 15mm figures. - and a Question of Composition