Prev: Re: (OT) SFSFW (US) Next: Re: GZG online chat

Orbital Insertion

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:02:59 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Orbital Insertion

You wrote:

I know that's not the subject the message I'm answering to was, but
this is a re-send due to problems reconnecting to list, and I don't
recall the subject heading.  This seemed to fit--at least better than
an error message.

>    Landing could be a problem, provided, of course, you found an
adequately >strong area to support the MASS 500 starship. This is a
starship the size of >small skyscraper! Look how long it takes to make
the foundation of a >skyscraper!

A starship twice the size of the largest dreadnought. . . What's an
Iowa weigh?  Take a cruise ship twice it's size, and use it as a
landing craft.

Not in my universe.  I generally drop Power-Armored infantry from orbit
(RAH!), in conjunction with SOF forces infiltrarted in a variety of
ways (including booking passage like any other business traveller).  I
bought a couple of small, very nice walkers, but I havn't decided
whether I want to make that a standard part of my assault forces.  As
soon as I've got a spacehead, expand it with rough-field capable
assault landers.  I don't start landing the heavy freighters full of
supplies until a spaceport is secure.  Wars are expensive.  Desert
Storm required 6,000 aircraft sorties and 500 ship-loads to move the
troops and supplies in.

>    And, of course, if I were the defenders, I would be lobbing in
Nuclear >artillery shells, or Nuke tipped GMS/cruise missiles. I sure I

Heck w/ that.  I'd be using even bigger warheads.  That's a bloomin'
expensive target.

John M. "I'm Back, what did I miss?" Atkinson

Prev: Re: (OT) SFSFW (US) Next: Re: GZG online chat