Prev: Re: UN etc (was: good guys and bad guys) Next: Re: Interesting trivia

Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: "Al.Bri" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 21:51:36 +1200
Subject: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

Tony Christney wrote:
>Yes, there is an Italian recon vehicle with two independent turrets.
>I don't remember the name, but there is a picture of it on the Jane's
>website. It definitely has at least three crew members, since the
>pic had a driver and crew in each turret. Not only that, but it's a
>pretty cool looking beast.

It's a Centauro reconnaissance vehicle and, while I agree that it's a
pretty
cool recon vehicle, it doesn't have two turrets, it only has one turret
with
two pintle mounted 7.62mm MGs, and a large calibre gun. It's picture is
here:
    http://www.janes.com/defence/resources/gallery/defres_980211.html
There's three crew visible in the picture, one at the front, left and
right
of the picture. The guy at the front is the driver. The two guys on top
are
the commander and the gunner. The one on the left (right side of the
vehicle), is probably the gunner. He's holding onto a pintle mounted
7.62mm
MG, and the main gun sight is just in front of him. The other guy on the
right (left side of the vehicle), is probably the commander as he's
wearing
goggles and adjusting his microphone. In front of him is another 7.62mm
MG.
Both MGs have gun shields and are pintle mounted, they are not turrets
nor
are they remote weapon station like the one below.

A picture of a 40mm CTWS + 7.62mm MG Remote Weapon Station is here:
    http://www.janes.com/defence/resources/gallery/defres_971217.html
A concept only, but is shows what's possible for remote weapon systems
for
future MICVs.

Janes gallery, where these pictures come from, is here:
    http://www.janes.com/defence/resources/defres_gal.html

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin

Prev: Re: UN etc (was: good guys and bad guys) Next: Re: Interesting trivia