Prev: Interesting Signature Lines - It's on topic! Next: RE: What about the UN? - Longish

Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: Gary Kett <gkett@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:58:09 -0400
Subject: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

	I am having some problem with the SGII	being labled as an
purely an
"Infantry" game, and therefore its ok to make other elements of the
battle
less effective. That's like playing a WWII navel wargame and making
aircraft
less effective, as they will take away from the navel fighting. (If you
don't want tanks, then don't put them in your senario. They are a very
important part of that land combat and should not be pushed aside. From
much
of the writing about snipers and so on I had the idea people wanted to
make
the game more realistic and detailed. Yet now I read statments saying
that
by making armoured vehicle preform correctly, the game would become
unblanced or something. I think any problem that would arise from the
use of
vehicles in a game would rather come from a poorly planned senario, than
the
fact that a vehicle is present. It is also difficult to use the
argument,
that SGII occurs in terrain where vehicles would have difficulty. For
tracked and wheeled sure, but I think grav would have few problems. As
those who will say that they should stay out of built up areas, I agree.
a point. Assault guns and tanks can be very effectivly used in urban
areas.
To do so requires a strong degree of infantry support however. Here's a
good
SGII battle. Few tanks lots of infantry. I like the idea that SGII deals
with small unit combat (all arms), while Dirt Side is much larger ground
fighting. One can shift between the two sytems for camaigns, and use the
FT
at an even higher level.

Prev: Interesting Signature Lines - It's on topic! Next: RE: What about the UN? - Longish