Prev: [OFFICIAL] Re: No Good Guys? Next: RE: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc)

Re: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:47:39 +0100
Subject: Re: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc)

Beth wrote:
[snip]
>I stand corrected (as usual) :)
>This now inspires another question (Yep I'm just full of them).
>How do people indicate their courses in the vector version of FT?
>So far we have:
>a) The clock face counter system - which is now out (though it will
quite
>probably be readopted, but under the form of 24 or 36 courses instead
of 12
>- I'll explain why in a minute)
>b) The washer which clips onto the stand - nice idea
>c) The arrow counters - which works if you don't play with a clutz or
>someone who isn't strictly honest.
>
>Any others?
>
>Basically the reason I ask is that there is a sum total of 2 other
regular
>FT players here (apart from my husband Derek and I) plus 2 guys that'll
>come along very occasionally. Unfortunately one of the regulars is a
clutz
>who has trouble with concepts he doesn't encounter everyday (and before
the
>physicists start most people don't usually go around thinking of
themselves
>in vector terms) and the other is very creative with his movement (Yeah
OK
>he's very prone to cheating). Thus we were after a simple yet
essentially
>tamper proof system of recording courses - that's why I think we'll
stick
>with the counters and just bump the number upto 24 (maybe 36) as the
clutz
>can cope with this and the other guy can't fiddle it easily. Sad I
know,
>but we have to work with what we've got. So I was just seeing what
other
>ideas people had come up with.
>
>Oh and BTW, all this is under the understanding that when we venture
into
>the great FT playing universe at large we leave all house rules
concerning
>movement at home. Probably a redundant statement here I know, but it
>wouldn't be the first time we've come across someone at a con who
expected
>us to play their house rules as if they were "cannon".
>
>Happy FTing,
>
>Beth

Playing with a "creative" gamer is always a problem. Assuming you don't
want to confront him about it and ask him to stop, and/or not invite him
games, one solution is to assign one player to an "umpire" role (he can
probably play as well if he is scrupulously honest) and get that one
person
to move ALL the ships each turn, following the other players' written
orders.  This may make players a LOT more careful about how they write
their orders....  :)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: [OFFICIAL] Re: No Good Guys? Next: RE: Vector movement question was (Re: Movement types etc)