Prev: Re: No Good Guys? (Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?) Next: RE: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: "Al.Bri" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:13:43 +1200
Subject: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

>>>b) Same APC, but the driver is busy driving (MOVEing) both ACTIONS.
Can
>>the
>>>gunner FIRE both actions, but with a different turret/weapon each
action?
>>Can
>>>he attack separate targets since he has 2 turrets?
>>
>>No, the gunner/commander has to switch turrets while the vehicle is
moving.
>>Which is a bit tricky, if you think about it.
>>Your APC really requires more crew to be fully effective.
>>
> Can I ask anyone why this vehicle has two turrets yet only one gunner?
If
>each had to be separately manned, it seems strange that an extra gunner
would
>not exist. If there is only one gunner, perhaps he sits at a control
board
>that allows him (through camera optics) to operate both turrets.
However, I
>can't see the logic of having the gunner move about the vehicle to
operate
>two separate turrets. I can't think of a modern example off hand. Are
there
>any?

The model has, I believe, two turrets, one on the left side of the
vehicle,
the other on the right side, with a crew compartment in between. It does
seem illogical and there isn't a modern example of this. The closest
would
be the Russian pre-WWII tank, I can't remember what it was called, which
had
multiple independent turrets on it. This tank had crew for all the
weapons,
but then again their technology didn't allow them remote control
systems.
    Naturally, you could put remote viewing systems in all the turrets
and
let the commander in the hull combine the fire of both turrets onto one
target.
This could then enable the vehicle to hide behind a tree while still
firing
its weapons!
    Recent issues of a German military magazine described how the
successors
to the American M1 and the M109 PS howitzer could have all their crew
sitting in the hull, with remote viewing all around. This would have the
advantage of lowering hull height dramatically, so increasing
survivability
of the vehicle.
    Also in those same issues, they discussed the possibility of three
and
two man crews for MBTs. Even going to the extent of including a bed, so
one
member of the team could sleep! This is to get 24 hour a day operation.
So
as you can see, cross-training will be quite normal for future tankers.
These future tank designs were designed so that any crew member could
drive,
any could shoot any weapon and all could communicate.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin