Prev: Re: NOT Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....) Next: Re: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:30:31 -0400
Subject: Drifting to DSII (was Re: New Fighter Types (drifting OT....))

Niall Gilsenan wrote:
> I liked the THOR idea (always wanted to go down fighting TOG).  To
> paraphrase a certain film "Nuke him from orbit.  Its the only way to
be
> sure".
>
> Hey look I mentioned Ortillery.  Almost back on topic.  How much
damage
> could the average wargamer survive from an Ortillery strike?

15m long, 2m diameter, titanium cylinder, dropped on you from orbit?

That's a LOT of kinetic energy.  (8-)

Though when Ortillery is mentioned, I always envisioned dual shot
systems (a laser punches a hole through the air, and a split second
later a second laser fires, or some sort of 'exotic' energy weapon.
Plasma?)  or banks of missiles, or even dumbfire rockets.  Certainly
nothing as... elegant (8-) as a Thor javelin.

BTW, for those who don't know - the Thor Javelin is a system from the
Renegade Legion universe.  It's a kinetic kill weapon, with minimal
seeker electronics.  They're deployed aboard low observable satellites,
in low orbit.  When a request for fire support is received, the
Javelin's
detach, break orbit, and essentially 'fall' onto their targets.  They
are optimized for anti-armour missions.

Very good for fire-support; you need anti-orbital stuff to get at the
launcher platforms, they don't care about cloud cover (since they seek
on the emissions from the grav drive, which are hard to hide (8-) ),
they're relatively cheap compared to other types of space-based
fire support, and there isn't much that can resist something like
that going through your top deck.  (Unless you're a Bolo or an Ogre,
but now I'm crossing Universes.  (8-) )

J.

--
   Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan -