Prev: Sa'Vasku Questions Next: NSL Ships

Re: Sa'Vasku Questions

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:38:51 +0100
Subject: Re: Sa'Vasku Questions

At 17:49 19/07/98 -0800, you wrote:

G'day again,

>>	I have not made any large effort to improve the Sha'Vasku
>> as yet.   Nobody plays them around here.

A few guys play them here. The first couple to have a go thought they
were
woeful and needed improvement. Then someone played them who used their
strengths and boy can they kick butt!

>I'll agree that Sa'Vasku by themselves are pretty crappy.  However,
>in a campaign game I was in recently where Sa'Vasku and Kra'Vak could
>be hired as mercenaries, we discovered something nasty about the
>Sa'Vasku.
>
>At 4 points per mass you can get a 300 Mass ship for 1200 points.
>Its average die roll is 30*3.5 or 105.  That is enough to generate
>5 drone pods per turn, and the ship has carrier capacity to launch
>up to six per turn.  No points need be wasted on shields or weapons
>during closing and the extra can be stored in the battery.
>In a running fight or a surprise fight the Sa'Vasku aren't all that
>great.

I wasn't after a balance system because I thought they were crappy. I
think
they are a match for human ships if used correctly. Sit back and store
energy and pump out drones and drones and drones and then close FAST.
And
bang there goes the opposition before there's a chance for you're
stamina
to run out.
I saw a Sa'Vasku fleet (Heavy Battleship, Drone Podship, 2 Light
Strikeships and 4 Attackers) wipe out an NSL fleet (Corvette, Frigate,
Destroyer, Light Cruiser, Escort Cruiser, Battlecruiser, Battleship) -
only
the Battleship was left after 3 turns of actual combat (there was 2-3
turns
of closing/manuevring first) and it wasn't looking real great either.

Admittedly I have also seen the Sa'Vasku get walked on, but their
commander
that time didn't use fighters and didn't close either.

>As for Thrust, the Sa'Vasku have the highest theoretical thrust rating
>of any ship, independant of their mass.
>>A 200 Mass ship that spends 70 power points on thrust has a 7 thrust.
>If it rolled max and had 20 points in battery it would have a one
>turn of 14 thrust!  Adding extra thrust might be unadvisable.

I agree.

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

Prev: Sa'Vasku Questions Next: NSL Ships