Prev: Re: New Fighter Types Next: Re: Savasku Questions

Re: Sa'Vasku Questions

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:41:51 -0700
Subject: Re: Sa'Vasku Questions

Michael Sandy wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> At 4 points per mass you can get a 300 Mass ship for 1200 points.
> Its average die roll is 30*3.5 or 105.  That is enough to generate
> 5 drone pods per turn, and the ship has carrier capacity to launch
> up to six per turn.  No points need be wasted on shields or weapons
> during closing and the extra can be stored in the battery.

XXX   The 'S' rules are expermental, and have not been tested at all.
No one has play the 'S' around here.   JTL   XXX

> As a planetary assault craft, it can't be beat.  It just swamps the
> defenses with endless waves of fighters, let alone the possibility
> that such a big ship could generate ground troops.
>
> It isn't that bad for planetary defense if you have rules that says
> beam weapons can only affect ground targets if the ship is in orbit.
> In the 6 or so turns it takes to close from 72" and get into orbit
> your grounded Sa'Vasku can put an impressive number of fighters
> in the air.

XXX   The "endless waves of fighters" is a good point and I'll get to
that
later.
     We do not allow Beams to hit the planet, that is what Ortillery is
for.
JTL   XXX

> In a running fight or a surprise fight the Sa'Vasku aren't all that
> great.
>
> Unlike fighters, drone pods don't have to be retrieved, in fact, they
> can't be retrieved, just reabsorbed.
>
> As for Thrust, the Sa'Vasku have the highest theoretical thrust rating
> of any ship, independant of their mass.
>
> A 200 Mass ship that spends 70 power points on thrust has a 7 thrust.
> If it rolled max and had 20 points in battery it would have a one
> turn of 14 thrust!  Adding extra thrust might be unadvisable.

XXX   101 divided into 100 yields a fractional number, the 'free thrust
rule'
stated that all fractions were to be rounded down.    Gotcha! :-)

> Especially as noone wants to run into 100 mass 2 Sa'Vasku which have
> a free 10 thrust and cost only 800 points!!!

XXX  I did not expound upon the growth of the young 'S' (young=fighters)
in the originsl
message.   So here goes:   A 'S' mothership (mass 80+) places a group of
young in/on
a planet.  Each stratigic turn the 6 young roll 1D6 for each fighter.
On a roll of
'1' the fighter dies.  On a roll of '2-5', nothing happens.   On a roll
of '6' the
fighter becomes a mass 10 adult, and capable of travel between
planets/stars.
(One notices that under this system there are no 'S' at less than 10
mass.	But you
were not aware of that. :-)  My fault, Sorry.)
     The young are considered to be mindless eating machines that
destroy the planet
they are placed upon.	The young will attack anything for food
starships, planets,
even the 'S' if the 'S' happens to be dead.   JTL   XXX

> Michael Sandy

Reply suggestion to "endless waves of fighters'.
     I would suggest that the 'S' "Pod ship' be required to take a hit
for each fighter
squadron launched during a game.   The fighters are not created out of
nothing, and the
supership will have to start making choices at some point.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: New Fighter Types Next: Re: Savasku Questions