Prev: Re Dirtside II FAQ Next: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site

Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:58:08 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Allan Goodall wrote:

> There isn't one listed on the web site (http://www.icq.com). However,
there
> are Java, Windows 95, WinNT, Win3.11, Windows CE, and Mac versions.
>
> >  - Non-X-windows client?
>
> Only if you include the Java version.

A Java program, like a C program, may or may not work without a
windowing
system. Knowing it's Java doesn't help a text-terminal user at all.

> No idea. Probably not an open standard, unless you count the Java
version.

Can you get the Java sourcecode? Are the clients all by the same firm or
can you get different versions?

Oh, and how do they finance the service? Let me guess... obnoxious
banner
ads all over the place?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re Dirtside II FAQ Next: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site