Prev: Re: The Phalons Next: RE: Killing Infantry

Gravity In FT (was Re: Need Physics Help)

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:31:09 -0500
Subject: Gravity In FT (was Re: Need Physics Help)

Richard S. writes

>When I said, gravity sucks, I meant, if you do manage to get /too/
>close to something with more gravity than the earth...  a gas giant
>for example, you could be in serious trouble. Also, those ships that
>are intended to land on planets had better have good enough drives to
>manage it. If they have atmospheric streamlining, sure, they can
>glide with the bricklike quality that the space shuttle does, but
>taking off again with half a g of thrust is going to be problematic.
>Even worse, if the planet has no atmosphere for you to get lift in...

>With regard to fighting near a planet... yup, I'd prefer to if I'm
>defending and it has orbiting defenses to help my fleet.

In a low-thrust situation like that, the vast majority of ships cannot
land
on planets.  Most don't anyway, but it would still be tough.  All the
more
reason for me to go to the 7500km MU - If I wanted, SDNs could be
atmospheric - woo hoo!	But for low-tech - that gives the result I want
-
interface vehicles are mostly engine.

Noah

Prev: Re: The Phalons Next: RE: Killing Infantry