Prev: Killing Infantry Next: re: Space Fleet foo (was RE: The Phalons (But with serious on topic questions stuck on the bottom))

Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:08:38 GMT
Subject: Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:34:43 -0500, Thomas Barclay
<Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca>
wrote:

>Allow me to question what we get out of ICQ as a chat mechanism
>(since chats would be scheduled?) that we don't get from IRC? IRC
>seems a more standard (okay maybe I'm dated) mechanism.

Mikko asked me the same question in private.

Basically the only reason ICQ is becoming so popular is because it is a
simple
to load program with a killer app feature. IRC requires you to find IRC
channels, learn how it works, and it uses some pretty simple--but to a
neophyte, arcane--metaphors. ICQ is very simple: it starts up with your
browser and tells you when a friend is online (yes, you can mask your
online
activity to anyone or everyone). Once I see that a friend is online, I
can
send them a message, request a chat, send them an e-mail, etc. (in fact,
the
messaging, e-mail, and URL sending can be done when someone is offline).

This is what's making it so popular. People you know are asking you if
you
have it (it happened at a family get together last week, for instance).
For
IRC, you have to search out an IRC channel that meets your interest.
With ICQ
(which stands for I Seek You) you are told as soon as a friend or family
member logs on. It starts up with the browser, so it looks for all the
world
like the same app. No playing around, it all happens behind the scenes.

ICQ in its current form won't replace IRC. I can see ICQ growing to the
point
where it will be THE method of internet online communication. If they
can get
past the 7 person limit, it COULD replace IRC.

For what people are talking about here, IRC is probably the best route
to go.
But here's an anecdote that explains the beauty of ICQ. We've been
farting
around for a couple of days now trying to organize some sort of IRC
chat. Last
night, Aaron Teske looked me up using ICQ, saw that I was on, and sent
me a
message. We proceeded to send messages back and forth for about 15
minutes,
talking mostly FT stuff. We didn't go into chat mode, but we did use
ICQ's
message mode. So, while the list in general is busy trying to get an IRC
thing
organized, Aaron and have already had an online chat about FT, and it
took
VERY little effort on either of our parts to set up.

So, if you want a forum discussion where tons of FT people can chat
online, go
with IRC. If you want to talk FT with anyone who just happens to be
online at
the moment, get ICQ and look up some FT people.

We should probably set up a list of GZG mailing list members with ICQ.

>Would firewalls block ICQ that would not block IRC?

Quite possibly.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart