Prev: RE: ESU Nanuchka class Corvette Next: RE: Sensor Rules

Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?

From: "James Yonemura" <james.yonemura@w...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:53:58 -0700
Subject: Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?

Been lurking up to now.  Thought maybe we list members could take the
initiative,
come up with stuff & let Jon pick & choose what he likes.

GOVERNMENT
Before either California or Texas became states, they were "Free
Republics." Therefore, to give the citizens of Free CalTex a sense of
continuity in government,
the former states would pick up where they left off & again become
Republics.
I would imagine that even in the future, neither Californians nor Texans
would agree to be governed by people from the other state, so they would
maintain seperate 'state' governments, but would create an
agency/organization to represent both Republics economically &
diplomatically to the universe at large.

This organization will have been instrumental in the relatively smooth
secession from the Anglian Confederation. Members of this organization
will
have made it clear to
the Anglian's that yes you will be losing the tax revenues from our
splendid economies, but it's not like you'll get them back if you try to
force us into the Confederation.  War is not good for business. Tell you
what, accept our secession from the Confederation, and we'll cut you a
deal.

<Historical footnote: The 1st Anglian representative did not see the
wisdom
in Free CalTex's position, so he was shot. Once the Confederation
understood Free CalTex's negotiating style, the talks came to a rapid &
smooth conclusion.  It didn't hurt that
a Free CalTex special operations team had hacked the Confederation's
financial, military & governmental networks & was ready to wreak havoc
with
key deletions & misdirections.>

I would imagine that big corporations would have a great deal of
influence
with Free CalTex's governing bodies since their contribution to the
strong
economy is what enabled Free CalTex to gain it's independence.	One
hopes
Free CalTex will have learned from the Japanese of the danger of
allowing
the corporations too much influence.

Urgh. Getting late. Will have more ramblings later if response indicates
more is desired.

Jim Yonemura