Prev: Re: FT Fiction Part Two of two (Long) Next: Re: The Phalons

RE: The Phalons (But with serious on topic questions stuck on the bottom)

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson@q...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:03:45 +1000 (EST)
Subject: RE: The Phalons (But with serious on topic questions stuck on the bottom)

>On that theme... My husband played GW games back when there was only 1
book
>(Yes he's been playing for quite a while) and he just wanted to know if
any
>of you guys had ever seen the "Dictator" (probably more appropriately
>called the DICKtator) which was a ship with 2 big arms with claws which
>used to grab an enemy ship before using a huge drill to breech the hull
>before disgorging lots of small boarding parties... it was one of the
>funniest gaming things you can imagine he reckons. Its wonder it ever
made
>it past the sensors out here - they banned the first 2 GW orc gargants
>(which had a large cannon or gnashing set of jaws between their
"legs").

Ah the good ol' Space Fleet Dictator.  I remember that one.  There's a
shop
here in Brisbane that still have one or two for sale.  Amd the older
style
of Gargant?  Ah those "vunerables" were where ALL of my enemy's shots
would
go when they fought my Epic Orks (just cannon-envy I guess).

>Now in a vain attempt to bring these back on topic. After months of
near
>misses I FINALLY got to play my first ever game of FT last night. Very
>nice. I got flattened (probably not helped by the fact my exceptional
>dicing skills saw 2 ships disappear in power core explosions), but it
was
>superb fun. I think I even managed to get the hang of how to use vector
>movement and still go in the direction intended (this after I flew two
>ships into a gas giant and one guy went beetling past the enemy line of
>battle at high speed before realising that maybe he should slow down
and
>come back - unfortunately by the time he got back it was only him left
>against the bad guys). Terrific. Just some questions for you.

I know exactly how you feel.  Playing a scenario where I had to stop an
enemy assault transport convoy from getting off the table and right at
the
crucial moment in the battle my biggest ship failed its power-core roll,
the crew failed to fix it and BOOM!!  I lost the game.	Just.

>1) The reroll 6s just continues on until you stop rolling 6s right? (I
>think someone else asked this already, but I couldn't remember for
sure,
>sorry.) That's the way I interpreted the rule, but just double checking
>after my arsey opponent rolled 8 6s on the trot (Yep that was one of my
>ships that suffered a power core explosion - there wasn't an untouched
>system left!)

That's the way we play it.

>2) When a ship strikes its colours does the other side have to do
anything
>to it (i.e. put on a boarding party or something) or does it just
quietly
>slink out of the way?

We play "Striking the Colours" like a core system.  And once it strikes
the
colours, the ships is gone, kaput, finished.  Just as if it had blown
up.
The opponent doesn't need to board it in the More Thrust rule, but you
could add that if you liked.

-Kelvin....

   "And how do you suppose we stop them?
      Get a big red sign with the word
	    STOP written on it?"

Prev: Re: FT Fiction Part Two of two (Long) Next: Re: The Phalons