Prev: Sensor Rules Next: Re: Dirtside II FAQ

Re: Toronto Trek: Success!

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:38:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Toronto Trek: Success!

	Howdy!

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> The problem is usually that if you are playing attack defense, the
> attacker should have at least 2:1 (preferrably 3:1 or more) numeric
> superiority otherwise why launch the attack? But that doesn't make
> for a very fun time and you need REALLY sharp players on the defence.
> But it sounds like fun.

	The odds were about 2.5:1, after including vehicles.  The
defense
DID have lots of mines, but they were poorly placed.  Last year, the
defenders put pay to the assault force, but last year the defense was
led
by a US Army SF Captain.... :)	He played this year, but just played a
few
regular FSE squads (and did nothing for the game but occupy real estate.
He let the player controlling the company command screw up on his own
<g>.

> They obviously weren't using the mines to channelize the enemy very
> well (from a map perspective). If you channelize the enemy to the
> wings of your board in a wargame, that really makes it less
> satisfactory as the attacker probably wants to maneovre off the
> board. Channelize him toward the centre, and you form a nice kill
> zone. And not leaving a reserve to reinforce week points (fast moving
> troops! or at least the best you can muster) is a common wargamer
> mistake - the tactical reserve can be very key in any battle plan.

	ABSOLUTELY!  NO mines were left anywhere NEAR the starport.  A
few
dummies and CDMs would have helped when the OUDF came a-knockin'.

> Holy smokes! That's still pretty good. If you'd started this at 5pm,
> I'd have thought you might have got done by 2am. I think you made
> pretty good time all things considered... at least compared to the
> wargamers I've played with.

	We only run company level games at conventions and stores when a
majority of players have at least played SGII once.  About 6 of the 14
people had played in one of our smaller, earlier games.  Three people
joined specifically for the company game and had no experience.  Thus
the
game was run by and for an experienced majority.  Had we had all
newbies,
it would not have been run <g>.  Usually with a beginner, we start them
off with a platoon a side, which usually runs to conclusion in about 1
1/2
to 2 hours.

> Sounds interesting enough that (if another big battle can be put
> together) it might be worth the journey to TO. I guess if we made a
> bit of PR for the games, then Jon and Co. ought to be happy! :)

	You bet!  We play SGII three times a month, and will be doing
another company level game in September at Sci-Fi World.  We usually
make
a day of it (10am-Midnight).  We haven't decided the forces, but we have
ample choice <g>.

	Later!

	Ken

Prev: Sensor Rules Next: Re: Dirtside II FAQ