Prev: Re: Need Physics Help! Next: Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:41:31 GMT
Subject: Re: GZG-ICQ online chat

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:58:41 -0500, Thomas Barclay
<Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca>
wrote:

>Under the category of 'don't know if its true':
>I have a friend runs a web design company. He told me the ICQ people
>are know on the Net to sell both your email address and those of
>anyone you correspond with to evil spammers. I don't know if this is
>so, but I've had enough hassle with these dorks that I don't care to
>find out.

Well, I've been using ICQ for a month now and haven't noticed any change
in
the volume of spam I receive. Since ICQ doesn't actually check your
e-mail ID
during registration, putting a bogus e-mail address is simple and would
protect you. In fact, an e-mail address I THINK is optional. The easiest
thing
to do is to grab a free account (Hotmail or something), put that into
ICQ and
then just let the account expire.

But I don't think this is necessary. As I said, ICQ doesn't check the
validity
of the e-mail address you enter during registration. I suspect that this
is a
rumour and nothing more.

Yes, this is off topic, except that we're considering a GZG ICQ chat and
discussion of ICQ in this context is probably on topic. Anyone needing
information about ICQ, please e-mail me.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: Need Physics Help! Next: Re: GZG-ICQ online chat