Prev: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: Vehicle Stats Question

RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:54:07 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

You wrote:

>Sounds like the merchant navy would be the most likely to go there.

Definitely.

Going >out with a hold full of frozen colonists and coming back empty

Not quite empty, just not with massively profitable cargos.  Some
things might be easy to extract in a short time--furs, agricultural
cargoes, etc.  But in interstellar trade that's not exactally big-money
items unless there's, say, a special recreational drug--think Virginia
Colony with tobacco.  Or perhaps unique gems--glowstones from
Zarathustra. (Which weren't true gems, but fossilized remains of
jellyfish that glowed when heated)

>running. Hiding a few Q-Ships amongst those helpless merchants could
be a >nice surprise for the raiders.  It might make for an interesting

I was thinking the easiest type of Q-ship to do up would be a fighter
carrier based on a heavy transport hull.  Rip out the cargo space, and
you can stick four fighter groups, a bit of armor, and some weapons to
boot.  This is good because first, Privateers and pirates aren't likely
to have large ships out there, and we all know fighters are much more
lethal vs. small ships, and second, raiders won't likely have fighters
'coz they'd be difficult to replace.  Also:  Are those launch tubes or
cargo loading hatches?	"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: Vehicle Stats Question