Prev: Re: FAQs Next: Re: Vehicle Stats Question

Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:06:56 +0200
Subject: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

Brian Bell wrote:

> The main thing that I did not like about 7500km/mu/15 minute turn was
> that you had to reach extreemly high game speeds to reach other
planets
> or jump points. An AU (distance from the sun to earth) is 19,946.666
mu
> using this scale. This is 207 DAYS at a speed of 1. 4 days at a
maximum
> increase of 8 each turn. Four days is a lot at 8G.

Four days is a lot at 8 g, but the in-game time needed for travel won't
change just because you use a different distance measuring unit... and I
wouldn't use FT combat movement rules to simulate interplanetary travel
(Wobbler's "Journey to Alpha Centauri", anyone? :-) - I'd use some sort
of strategic scale for this. Yes, I'm a Starfire player <g>

Regarding the high speeds (in game turns): This is where the vector
movement really comes into its own. If two forces manage to match
vectors
(which you have to do in some sort of strategic scale), just to a
galilean transformation of the coordinate system and play as if the
ships
travelled at speeds close to "zero" :-)

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FAQs Next: Re: Vehicle Stats Question