Prev: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: Re: FAQs

RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:26:12 +0100
Subject: RE: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

>>As to the FT universe I would have presumed a lot of trade takes place

>but >between larger colony worlds mainly.  Until they built up a
>reasonable >manufacturing base on new colonies I doubt it would be
>worthwhile to make >the trip out to these new worlds for most traders.

>Well, trade per se, you'r right.  However newly established colonies
>will see immigration (how many colonists can we stuff in a heavy
>freighter?  I dunno, but we've reinvented steerage [Leonardo daCaprio
>not included]), colonial sponsor's supply runs (which in my background
>includes pre-fab industrial facilities--there's a nasty war going on
>and the Empire needs all the help it can get), and other reasons to go
>there.

Sounds like the merchant navy would be the most likely to go there.
Going
out with a hold full of frozen colonists and coming back empty would be
expensive for the private sector. At least until the prefabs are up and
running. Hiding a few Q-Ships amongst those helpless merchants could be
nice surprise for the raiders.	It might make for an interesting
scenario.
As well as cutting down on the potential for raids.  Is that a big juicy
transport or a heavy cruiser in disguise?  Theres only one to find out.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: RE: Lazy Man's Cammo Next: Re: FAQs