Prev: RE: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc) Next: Re: Test.

Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

From: Brian Bell <brian.bell@a...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 00:05:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc)

> Keep turns @ 15 mins, make 1 MU = 7,500 km.  This should keep 1 thrust
= 1 g.
> and Terra is 2", Jupiter 16", etc.  I think this might work for you.

This is about .025 light seconds per MU (1/40th of a light second). I
prefer to use larger units (75,000km or about 1/4 light second). To my
mind this gives a greater "cosmic" feel to the combat and allows ships
to reach a viable jump point (~2au in my game) quicker. However, planets
represent not only the planet but its gravity well also. It also
accounts for the large percentage to miss a ship in FT. If you have to
fire several light seconds away (even with speed-of-light weapons), it
will take some time to reach the target (target is 24" away: send an
active targeting pulse [6 seconds there, 6 seconds back], fire [6
seconds there], gives 18 seconds from when you first gave the order to
fire [12 seconds from when it was locked by active sensors or 1 second
per 2"].).

--

Brian Bell
brian.bell@axom.com

The Full Thrust Ship Registry
http://www.axom.com/bkb/fthome.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Dirtside II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/ds2main.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Stargrunt II Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb/sg2.html
Cygnus Eclipsers' Sci-Fi Games Site
http://www.axom.com/bkb

Prev: RE: Gravity, Tech & others (was Re: Orbits, etc) Next: Re: Test.