Prev: Re: Dogs, use of (non-explosive), cats, and grav bikes. Next: RE: Dogs, use of (non-explosive), cats, and grav bikes.

Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 01:38:39 GMT
Subject: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

> But anyway, I do like the point about HE rounds.  Nothing says loving
> like light artillery.  :) How, I wonder, would I simulate this in
> Dirtside?  Maybe a LVC--Low Velocity Cannon.

Why? Light artillery is already availably, Size 2, does for tanks
and infantry.

The gun-launcher thread reminds me of a couple of things I've said
before, but not for a year or more, so:

Firstly, I think it was an error to change Dirtside to a system
where vehicle design is a question of engineering, rather than
description. I think this is a mistake in FT as well. In DS1, you
describe a vehicle... this size, this armour, this mobility, this
gun, this launcher, this many troops, these systems (etc.) and a
formula gives a points cost... no worrying if you can "fit it all
in". If you want to slap an extra weapon on a existing tank or
APC, you can... and why not?

Secondly, I note that the playtest version of DS2 included a
"Smart Munitions Cannon", which was another non-kinetic energy
weapon that was defeatable by reactive armour, firing, as you
might guess, guided rounds.

--
David Brewer