Prev: Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5) Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose)

Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

From: <Pmj6@a...>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 14:53:40 EDT
Subject: Re: (Stupid BMP tricks)

<< Los,
      I am the first to admit that I am not up on the modern armor
 capabilities.	 However, I think that the BMP-3 only mounts a 30MM
 auto cannon as its main weapon.   If the ATGM capability exists,
 it exists in the same form as on the BMP-2 (75MM gun, I think),
 as a launching rail atop the main gun.   (Yes, getting out to fit
 another missile in a combat situation will be very hazardous to
 ones health, but thats why armored infantry get the extra pay and
 'elite' status.)

 Bye for now,
 John L. >>

The BMP-3 has both a 100mm gun/launcher and a 30mm autocannon.	The
100mm
weapon fires the Bastion (AT-10) ATGM which, naturally, is loaded like a
conventional gun round, meaning under armor.  It may also fire
conventional HE
rounds.

The BMP-2 mounts a 30mm A/C and a single launch rail for a tube-launched
Konkurs (AT-5) ATGM on turret roof.   The launcher cannot be reloaded
under
armor.

The BMP-1 is armed with a 73mm low pressure gun and an ATGM launcher,
AT-3
above gun barrel in older models, AT-4 or -5 on turret roof on
modernized
ones.

Mike Jasinski

Prev: Re: A bit OT - Strine (was B5) Next: Re: Advanced Guided Missile systems (and prose)