Prev: Re: Odd FT Idea Next: Re: Surviving Elite Units (was Re: Odd FT Idea)

Re: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 20:52:52 -0400
Subject: Re: NAC units, was Odd FT Idea

One practice that teh NAC should adopt from us is direct affilitaion
between aviation assets and ground units. There's a
huge difference between getting air suppport in the USMC  if you are a
marine than it is in eth USAF if your in the
army. Hell most USAF types thing that the Army serves little or no
purpose anyway except just to gurad bases and you
should see the wizardry and magic required to get air support (or even
artillery support these days). It's almost
unheard of for some plt leader to be able and pick up the hook and call
in some suport. now ya gotta have FOs and FACs
to do anything and support fires are competing with brach specific
interdiction fires. (Re: arty going off and fighting
it's own battles instead of supporting Infantrry or armor). Read Robert
Leonard's "The Art of Manuever" for a good look
at this.

Richard Slattery wrote:

> On  3 Jul 98 at 8:35, John Atkinson wrote:
>
> [snipping for brevity]
>
> > Do note that the Royal Marines and Paras are LIGHT infantry.  Our
> > LIGHT infantry walks just as far, just as fast, with just as large a
> > load.  Granted we like to involve helicopters--but the Brits do too,
>
> I think they have to ask the RAF to give them a lift in their
> helicopters when they need them. Wouldn't it be more sensible to give
> the para's and marines their own ones you ask? Naaah ;)
> Richard Slattery	       richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
> Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we
received notice that you passed away. May God bless