Prev: Tank Traps for High Tech Next: Re: Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons

Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons (was re: sniper weapons for SGII)

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:34:50 -0400
Subject: Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons (was re: sniper weapons for SGII)

Thomas Barclay wrote:
> These tanks might be hard to attack (if they hover 10 feet up,
> infantry can't board to shove charges or grenades into things). The
> one point about such a tank is it must armour all six sides as it
> cannot gaurantee it won't be attacked by other grav tanks from above
> or beneath (or the rear) hence the armour might be a tad thinner than
> on a tank which only has to armour four faces well (or five). The way
> to attack them might be EMP or grav seeking missiles or some sort of
> field generator that varies gravity in an area they fly through to
> cause crashes.

Tom brings up a good point.  While forseeing advancements in armour in
terms of mobility, protection and firepower, we must also remember that
these advancements do not proceed in isolation.  Grav Drives on tanks
could mean the development of 'Bounce Infantry' a la Renegade Legion;
where height above terrain is not a defence against the fusion grenade
against the turret ring.  The ability to manipulate gravity for
propulsion implies the ability to manipulate gravity as some sort of
weapon; if nothing else, some sort of glorified mine.  (To take a page
from David Weber; a mine that enhances the efficiency of a propulsion
gravity field in a localized area of the field.  Yeow.)  Or why not
shoulder capable KE weapons, using gravity as the accelerating field?

> Either that or follow the guerilla plan - contaminated
> fuel, assassinated crew on liberty, defective ammunition or suborning
> a mechanic or rear area worker or just sneaking in to sabotage the
> vehicles which are no doubt very complex.

Support systems always the most vulnerable.

> It might just be that a
> futuristic grav tank is beyond MOST methods used to attack
> conventional armour of today, since it may well be a cross between
> the armoured tracklayer of today and the tac-air helo or A-10 of
> today.

But certainly vulnerable to methods developed in their time frame.

J.

--
   Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan -
TBFTGOGGI

Prev: Tank Traps for High Tech Next: Re: Hi-Tech Anti-Tank Weapons