Prev: Re: SMLs Next: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

Re: Troop Capacity

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 01:34:37 +0000
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

On 22 Jun 98 at 15:44, John Atkinson wrote:

> Starships have enough energy emissions from the drive, electronics,
> weapons, etc to be targetted with passive arrays.  How do you find a
> passive sensor array?  I mean yeah, with gee-whiz sensors you can
> find out a LOT from orbit, but there is a vast difference between
> having the raw data and spending the time to make it usable.
> Remember the ruckus when CIA was accused of not finding out about
> India's nuclear tests?   They had all the evidence they needed on
> film, and actually delivered to the photogs.	But they didn't
> interpret it in time.  That's the killer.  If you take film with a
> 1cm resolution and photograph a small continent, anyone wanna
> speculate on how many hundreds of miles of film that translates out
> to?
>
> John M. Atkinson

Actually, this is something I've been mulling over, and haven't come
up with a great solution to yet. The pro's for finding the sites are:
High concentrations of perhaps detectable armour substance.
Powerplants for beam weapons. SML's don't need big powerplants
though. The plethora of intelligence sensor data could be scanned at
high speed by computers I guess, and they could send their best
prospects to human operators for them to sort out the real ones from
the dummies....

You could of course bring a dummy ship 'fleet' into range and see
where the missiles light up from. It can turn into a game of chicken
though. Is it a real fleet? Do you want to give away your defense
position?
Or, send fighters in close to take a closer look at the suspect
sites..
Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
Not only is he ambidextrous, but he can throw with either hand.
     Duffy Daugherty , football coach and sports analyst`

Prev: Re: SMLs Next: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules