Prev: Interesting reading.. Next: Re: SMLs

Re: Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:22:42 -0700
Subject: Re: Operational Level Game with Sensor Rules

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> Phillip E. Pournelle <pepourne@nps.navy.mil> wrote:
Schoon,

     I was discussing this with Phil at the club meeting saturday,
the basic concept was the sensor range and system movement for the
current campaign.   I must interject that the insystem movement
was discarded and replaced with a more abstract and more simple
system. (When a ship jumps into a stratigic hex the ship arrives
at EOS. (edge of system, the next turn it moves to the planet of
choice.)   The sensor ranges for the tacitcal game are:
normal(standard) =  60
enhanced	 = 120
superior	 = 240
special alien (X)= 480
     Jamming is being used as a level of stealth, which reduces the
scanning sensor range by half/next lowest grade.

    The incoming ships generate a pulse that can be detected by
colony planets.
one planet lets you know an entry has been made into the system.
two planets narrow the choice to 2 of the 6 possible hexes.
three planets define the exact hexside of entry.
Using this one can try to intercept an incoming force in route to
a planet or wait at the planet itself.

It is rather unlikely that it will become policy to station an
intercept force at each of the 6 hexsides at EOS to try to attack
when the 'visitors' jump in.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Interesting reading.. Next: Re: SMLs