Prev: Re: Fleet Book in US? Next: RE: Miniature Battle Damage

Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

From: "Geo-Hex" <geohex@t...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 11:12:43 +0000
Subject: Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

> Date: 	 Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:16:21 -0700
> From: 	 John Leary <realjtl@sj.bigger.net>
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> To:		 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 Re: Full Thrust 3 rules

> Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >	    A few of us played a game using the new Fleet Book
construction rules.
> > While I believe that the new construction rules are better, they are
not
> > completely balanced.  The real issue comes regarding the mass of the
ship
> > you are attacking.
> ...snip...JTL
> >	    Phil P.
>

>      Speaking as one of the abused, I must first give credit where
> credit is due, Phil did a very good job of SML/SLM (whatever)
> placement.
>      Now to the comments:
> 1) In a straight (from the Fleet Book (FB)) battle, the SMLs have the
> effect of being a 'limited use' nova cannon (up to 6D6 of unmodified
> damage).

I take it you are NOT rolling to see how many missiles acquire the
target as specified in the rules?  On average only 3 or 4 will
acquire, and the PDS being better, 1/3 of those will go down before
exploding.  We followed the rules to the letter and found the
missiles to be very dicey at best.

 IMHO, this seems to be a wee bit over the top!   After all,
> one isn't likely to miss to often considering the area covered by
> four SMLs in a square pattern spaced at 4 inches. (16 in. X 16 in.
> square).
> 2) The other side of the coin.   In a 'design your own' FB battle the
> SMLs have no value at all!   They are easly defeated by using cheap
> throw away scout level craft as a damage sponge!

We shot those up before launching.

KR, Geo-Hex

Prev: Re: Fleet Book in US? Next: RE: Miniature Battle Damage