Prev: Re: DS2 Mortar Teams Next: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas

RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:19:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, John Atkinson wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >Hey, I like you first suggestions well enough. I've worked with
plenty
> >of Pioneers doing breaching in the past and a charge that will
> 'flatten'

Do it any way you like - either of my suggestions, or write your
own...and
you're right, there is a difference between just putting a hole in a
wall
and flattening the building...

> Depends on how large the bunker.  A little ol' thing might well be
> wiped out by a 20-lber.  I'd also like to see something for ruining
the
> health of the folks dumb enough to be inside the bunker when the
charge
> goes off.  Chunks of concrete and whatnot flying through the air are
> not conducive in the least to continued safety and sanity.

There are rules for casualties to vehicle occupants who are inside a
damaged/destroyed vehicle. I was figuring they'd work for
bunker/building
occupants as well.

> Problem is, that if you can find a blind spot to a bunker,
> it's dogmeat.  And there always is one--firing slits leave very little
> visibility.  The question is whether you can find it.  If you've got a
> covered/concealed route up to the bunker, it's like shooting fish in a
> barrel.  If not--if an LMG catches you moving up, you're dead.  But
> once you're on the bunker (sometimes quite literally--few bunkers have
> ways to get people off the roof), you can throw grenades and satchel
> charges at leisure.

If you have a bunker with 'blind' sides (w/o firing slits) you can just
move up to it - no close assault roll. How you'd model what happens next
is up to you - perhaps a die shift for the attackers?

> There should also be difference between normal and civvie
> buildings--the latter are fairly easy (extremely relative term here)
> clean out with grenade launchers.  The M-203 is an ideal city-fighting
> weapon.

Two ways of modelling the difference: Armour value - most civvie
buildings
are going to be Armour 1 or 2 - enough to stop small arms, but not
enough
to stop anything heavier. Very light buildings - sheds and stuff - would
be Armour 0 - all they do is block line of sight. I haven't modelled it,
but I imagine that a squad firing action would flatten an Armour 0
building nicely...

Also, civvie buildings have windows & more doors and stuff - which can
all
be targetted seperately. (pg 56/57, SG2) Blow a few doors in, then you
can
close-assault no problem...

Someone just mentioned (in a message I erased) that they (or a friend)
had
an entire urban terrain gaming table. Wow...any chance of descriptions,
or
even better photos on a webpage somewhere? I've just started thinking
about buildings - most of my terrain is of the hill-and-tree variety -
and
I know that's fairly typical. An entire table of buildings would be
something to see...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: DS2 Mortar Teams Next: Re: A Few New DS2 Ideas