Prev: RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long) Next: RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)

Re: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:51:52 +0100
Subject: Re: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc

At 09:10 16/06/98 -0900, you wrote:
>>That's a cool idea. World stats like traveller.... Hmmm. If it isn't
>>a copyright offence, it is a great idea.
>I also think it would be cool to get some common definitions for things
>like that - I can't imagine we would run into to any legal problems
with
>traveller.  While there may be some similarities, other factors would
>probably be involved in the world descriptions.  Just don't keep the
same
>order of the same statistics, and don't call the worlds stats a UWP
>(universal world profile)
>
>FWIW, and maybe to kickstart some ideas, travelller defines stats for 8
>items:
>Starport Rating
>Planetary size
>Atmospheric density/composition
>Hydrosphere percentage (water coverage-frozen or liquid)
>Population size
>Government type
>Law level
>Tech level
>
>Worlds with certain combinations are classified as
>industrial/non-industrial, rich/poor, etc. - classifications that
simplify
>some trade calculations.

	In the campaign I was planning to run (another member of my club
has taken
it on) worlds had the following ratings;

Habitability 0-10 (0- lifeless rock, 10 Garden of Eden)
Industry 0-10	    (0- none, 10- everywhere you look.)
Size	1-36	   (abstract measure of the population that could be put
on
the		    planet. Assumes 1 point is 10000 people. Larger
populations need
		    time to grow and I wanted this to be heavily into
colonization.)
Pop	0-36	     (actual population on the planet)
Value 0.5 - 2  (multiplier to industry)

Planets worked this way. Each generated credits equal to
Pop*Industry*value.

Planets could support a level of industry upto 10-Habitability. For each
level over this the habitability dropped one level.

Planets that had a habitability under 5 had to pay for colony support
(pop*10 for each level under 5)

Planets with a habitability over 5 generated each an each "food" for
each
population point at each level over 5 (a Pop 10 planet with Hab of 8
generated 30 food)

Each food point took 50 cargo spaces to move and could support 1 pop
somewhere else.

	I had most useful planets (Gas Giants and Venus types are out)
being
around size 20, hab 3, value 0.75. Never really thought about rating
space
stations. Might say that for every Mass spent on docking bays the
station
can handle 50 points of cargo per day/week/etc.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long) Next: RE: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)