Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Economics & Technology

Re: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:07:17 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SG2 Bunkers/Buildings rules(long)

You wrote:

>Small Arms Fire vs. Bunkers/Buildings: as w/ targeting vehicles. MAJOR
>success = suppression of squad inside. MINOR success = no affect. (You
can >blaze away a bunker or solidly constructed building for days with
an >assault rifle and do damn little except use up ammo and
occaisionally >scare the occupants...)

Depends--you should permit snipers to target firing slits seperately.

>CLOSE ASSAULTING STRUCTURES: (a good way to use up troops...)
>
>Against UNBREACHED walls of BUNKERS: Defenders take Confidence test at
one >less than usual (+2 instead of +3, say.) Also Defenders get TWO
die shifts >up, for the ENTIRE DURATION of the close assault.

Actually, bunkers are at a severe disadvantage to flanks and rear as
far as visibility.  And you're not so much trying to engage in
traditional hand-to-hand combat as to throw a grenade or satchel charge
in.  A satchel charge thrown by one man will take down the bunker, and
even a single grenade will likely clear it--the confined space of the
bunker magnifies effect greatly.

>(Urban combat eats troops - Stalingrad, etc. So does attacking
undamaged >bunkers, which is usually a real desperate move...)

It's a pretty normal battle drill in most units. . . Us light types
don't have the luxury of tanks and whatnot to knock out bunkers first.

>BREACHING CHARGES: I'll admit that these are the sketchiest parts of
these >rules. Basically, these are large limpet mines/shaped
charges/satchel >charges, specifically designed to blow breaches
through thick wall. They >need to be emplaced by infantryright on the
surface to be blown, and >tentatively have the following stats: 1
action to emplace them, "attacks" >chosen surface. Roll QUALITY die of
emplacing squad & D12x4 'Firepower' >die vs. Armour rating of surface
(d12 x Armour level). Effects as per >regular attacks, above.

This would be things like the shaped charges used at Eben Emael--actual
attempts to breach walls. Note that this generally has negative
consequences for the inhabitants.  Actual satchel charges (not shaped)
are thrown inside doors/windows and tend to collapse the structure
unless it's big.  If not, inhabitants are still dead.  Add a die shift
up on quality if it's an engineer unit.  I also notice you make it
practically impossible to knock down the entire building (max d12
quality, vs d12xarmor) when on a small structure that's likely.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Economics & Technology