Prev: Re: Q. FB1 Cover Font ? Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Occupation forces

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:07:15 -0500
Subject: Occupation forces

At 01:19 AM 6/16/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Well, you probably start sending your own colonists too. My feeling
>has always been that there are probably serious population pressures
>on earth, and more living space is just as important as grain
>production, or mining raw materials.

Ack!  If there is concern about resistance forces, the last thing I
would
do is bring in soft targets for them to attack.  Bringing in your people
will enrage the local populous, and stirring up more people than the
occupation forces will by giving them a focal point for long term
hostility.  Then you'll have gang beatings, riots, fire bombings and
endless rounds of retaliation by both sides.  Hell, half the time your
troops will be forced to keep your own people in line.

Look at some of the real-world examples of where this has been done and
you
will see how it has led to generations of needless bloodshed.

No, if you really want to take and keep a world, you have to do it in
such
a way that it has minimal impact on the citizen's day-to-day lives.
Quietly replace the govenment with collaborators.  Treat the populous
nice,
they're taxpayers now.	Keep the troops on a short leash.  Be fair and
just
and in the long term, apathy will work on your side.

In a generation or two only college activists will even give a damn.
And
as long as you don't run over them with tanks, no one will listen to
them.  ;)

Jeff

Prev: Re: Q. FB1 Cover Font ? Next: Re: Communication and Travel