Prev: Re: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc Next: Re: Communication and Travel

Re: Communication and Travel

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:50:41 +0000
Subject: Re: Communication and Travel

On 15 Jun 98 at 19:29, Los wrote:

> > You also talked of luring the elite troops into ambushes etc. I
>
> > > understand the Vietnam parallels, and the desire to perhaps have
> > > scope for such problems (perhaps for RP potential, or just for
that
> > > 'feel). However, elite units have come a long way (and learned a
lot
> > > of lessons) as well as advanced technolgy and sensor systems
looking
> > > carefully down from space.
> > **************************************************/
>
>   Anyone who things the majority of US forces in Vietnam were
>   "elite" troops
> is really stretching reality.
>
> Los

Agreed. But my original proposition was that (In FT) military units
have become very small and very well trained due to the equipment
they use, and the multitude of situations that they have to deal
with, and that 'space marines' at least, are elite.
I'm trying to find a way to rationalise small numbers of elite troops
being able to play an important, of not critical role in Planetary
invasion (Not highly populated core worlds), so that it's
possible to play out 'major' engagements while using small scale
rules sets.
Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
No degree of dullness can safeguard a work against the determination of
critics to find it facinating.
     Harold Rosenberg

Prev: Re: Planetary Infrastructure/Invasion/etc Next: Re: Communication and Travel