Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Troop Capacity

Re: Troop Capacity

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:53:54 +0200
Subject: Re: Troop Capacity

Jerry Han wrote:

> Yeah, this has always kind of bothered me as well.  Basically,
something
> that was the size of a battleship could only carry a combat company?
> This implies that starships are extremely volume inefficient.  Now,
you
> can argue anything you want (after all, it's a game! (8-) ), but I
guess
> I read Starship Troopers too many times, (or maybe Crusade (8-) )and
want
> the ability to drop entire divisions if necessary.

Um... if you've read the same Crusade (ie, Weber's) as I'm thinking of,
well... those marine forces were pretty small :-/ The TFN battleships
carried about 100 - 120 marines each; superdreadnoughts around 300 -
350.
I'd call that a company or three, but hardly an entire regiment. To drop
an entire division, you'd need several troop transports - or the huge
fleets assembled towards the end of the war (like 38 SDs and 23 BBs
<g>).

> Hmmm.  Maybe a different multiplier for Cargo Space?	If we use FB
> designs (which are roughly twice as massive for the same 'size'),

Should be "whose Mass unit is roughly half the size of the FT (basic
rules) Mass unit" :-/ (which, of course, isn't specified anywhere <g>)
But yes, that's the way to go.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Communication and Travel Next: Re: Troop Capacity